ibrium

ibrium

Lick - Kylie Scott Seriously good storytelling, which I've come to expect from this author. I had some issues with the prevalence of Aussie slang in a book set in the U.S., with American MCs. The author & editor took care to use American English spellings, but couldn't be bothered to fix simple things like "flats" and "nil interest" and adding definite articles before words because we Americans enjoy overusing them. What can I say? Stuff like that bugs me. Just as seeing a character in a historical romance mention someone having a cow, and she didn't mean in the ownership sense bugs me. Words and phrases out of place are as distracting as they are out of time is what I'm saying here.I only had one real problem with the plot, and that was Martha, for a few reasons. One she's such a cliche, and two, David's reaction (non-reaction?) to her for most of the book. He's still so damaged by Martha's cheating on him he only refers to her as "her" when discussing it with Ev, but he's totes cool being around Martha all the time and having her work with him. Uh. Ok? And then he puts Ev in her path, more than once. Seriously wtf actions in hindsight. He's either a total idiot or callous as fuck, but he never seems to be either of those--except in this one particular case. It made the reading a little frustrating.Also, I don't like lyrics in my stories, but what was I expecting reading a book about a rock star? No one to blame but myself for not liking that aspect. Am ever so grateful lyrics use was exceedingly sparse.Problems aside, this is a compulsively readable tale. Spicy and sweet, with a little bitter tossed in, which makes it work even more. Already looking forward to the next book in the series.