ibrium

ibrium

Fire & Frost (Iron Seas, #3.4; Code of Shadows, #0.5) - Meljean Brook,  Carolyn Crane,  Jessica Sims Enjoyed "Speed Mating" well enough. It's so short, hard to be more than OK, really. Had some minor annoyances, but I was engaged anyway. 2.5 starsCouldn't even get into, let alone finish, "Conjuring Max" by Carolyn Crane. I've probably given up on a story faster than I did this one, but I can't think of which story that might have been. If you want to capture my attention, don't make the opening sentences read like a list of actions. Ugh. DNFReally liked "Wrecked", and I was pleasantly surprised to feel that way. "Iron Duke" was great, as was "The Blushing Bounder" but for some reason I just have not been able to get into "Heart of Steel." I have tried and tried and tried, but I think I'm only about 5 pages in. So anyway, my point is that I went into this one with the expectation that I would have trouble with it. Happily, that wasn't the case at all, and "Wrecked" proved to be my favorite--by far--of the three stories in this collection. Elizabeth & Caius were instantly likable. Elizabeth's sudden change of heart was a bit of a bump, but hey, short story, things have to happen fast, I get it. Also, the reason Elizabeth is on the run is easily guessed and, uh, skeevy. 4 stars.