ibrium

ibrium

Blaze of Memory - Nalini Singh (1/30/2013)Changed rating from 4-star to 2-star. I'm almost done reading Blaze for the second time, and find myself not liking it nearly as much as I did the first time around. I think I was caught up in "YAY NEW SERIES" lust then, and boy howdy has that shine worn off. Usually it's the poor heroine who is painted into the TSTL box, but in this case, it's our hero, Dev. Also, he's kind of a gigantic asshole. And, oh my lord, all the "As you know, Bob"-ing going on is driving me up the wall. There has to be a better way to world build than ham-handed info-dumps via cumbersome dialogue. I also rediscovered that this book contains one of the stupidest scenes I've ever read. I thought that the first read-through, and its status was cemented this time around. My rage for this scene is out of all proportion to its length (a few lines) or importance to the plot (which is nil). I get that. I can't help it. WE HATES IT, PRECIOUS, WE DOES.Dev brings Katya a milkshake, except, SURPRISE, it's a fruit smoothie. IT IS SO STUPID. “Did I say milk shake?” he said, withheld laughter in his voice. “I mean ice cream smoothie–with enough fresh fruit blended into it to turn it solid.” Glancing at her when she didn't move, he raised an eyebrow.I wouldn't move either, because I would be stunned from your idiocy, Dev. It's not clever, witty, funny, disarming, amusing, charming, sweet, silly, endearing, playful, whimsical, or any other cute & fluffy adjective. Captain Mal's reaction when Dev asked if he thought saying it was a milkshake when it was really a smoothie the WHOLE TIME, TEEHEE:My reaction to reading it, both times: And then the more I thought about it, and felt insulted at being served something so bloody inane, this happened:So yeah. Some books just shouldn't be re-read, and should be left safely wrapped in a nostalgic glow. I wish I'd realized this was one of those.