ibrium

ibrium

Reckless - Anne Stuart This was a bit of a letdown for me. Though it's fair to say that Ruthless, the previous book in the series, is a hard act to follow. The writing itself is solid, and it's still compulsively readable. This book just came with some extra eye-rolling material. First, there were consent issues, which weren't minor. Rape scenes and dubious consent are not deal breakers for me. Sometimes, but not always. This was one of those instances where it toed the line of almost too much. I don't know, there was just something about it that was really off-putting. And yet those consent issues weren't what bothered me the most, because I'm weird, and editorial problems drive me up.the.wall. Anwyay, there's one memorable scene were our secondary romance characters kiss. It's kind of a big deal at the time, and so it came as something of a surprise when, a few chapters later, Lina (one of those kissing characters) seems to have totally forgotten that it happened and acts all "See how wicked I am kissing you, vicar? I AM WICKED!" (Lina was another problem I had with the book; at times she drove me crazy to the point of distraction. But I digress.) I reread the second scene twice, trying to figure out if I'd missed something that acknowledged the first kiss had ever happened. Either I'm more obtuse than I think I am (possibly), or there really was no mention of kiss #1. And like I said, it was a BIG DEAL. Anyway, it bugged me. There were other, minor issues where a character would think one thing on this page, and one or two pages later, completely change their mind. Consistency error or people being people? Either way, I, uh, disliked it. I don't like people who change their mind every whip stitch in real life. There's little chance I'd like it in my fictional characters, either.So. Solidly written, steamy sex scenes (despite the issues), and a storytelling style that sucks you in instantly. The characters, even if I disliked some of them intensely at times, always made me feel something, and that's a very good thing indeed. The 3-star rating reflects only on what I felt were editorial issues, not story content.