ibrium

ibrium

A Most Naked Solution - Anna Randol I have a short story/novella problem: It's incredibly difficult for me to connect with and care about the MCs. This is a "it's not you, it's me" state of affairs to be sure. I can't place all the blame on the author for a personal quirk. But I can and have fallen in love with characters in novellas (see: Courtney Milan), and because of that, the blame for not being bowled over by this story must be shared.Lady Harding and Lord Gray are likable enough, but as implied, I never really cared about them or what happened to them. The bright spot for me had to be Sophia's realization that she did not need fixing. That who she is is perfect enough. Yay, positive messages! Some errors in editing (missing words, misused words [Seriously, discrete? Lord Grey, a mathematician, warned the servants to be DISCRETE? sigh.]) also kept kicking me out of the story. Whether this is format-specific (I own the Nook edition) or not I can't say. Readable, but not compelling. The writing was competent enough to make me inclined to try a full-length novel by Ms. Randol in the hopes that a little more meat on the story's bones will engage me fully.